Button Batteries - The Silent Killer

In Australia, around 20 children visit an emergency room every week due to button battery ingestion.

What can be done to protect your child? ACCC, Kidsafe, Poisons Information Australia, State Health Departments all offer the same message to help keep your child safe from button batteries.

IDENTIFY items containing button batteries

SECURE battery compartments

ELEVATE - keep out of reach of children

ELIMINATE - dispose of used batteries safely

Is Your Child Protected?

Many of our homes have a silent killer just waiting to be discovered by our children. Button Batteries (also known as lithium batteries) are small disc or coin like batteries which are frequently found in everyday objects such as remote controls, cameras, garage openers, talking and singing birthday cards and books, hearing aids, calculators, games, bathroom scales, toys, reading lights, flameless candles, mini torches, cameras, watches and slim devices.  If children get access to these batteries, the outcome can be lethal.

Button battery’s can get stuck in a child's throat, ears and nose causing severe burns, injury or death in as little as two hours. If swallowed, these lethal coin sized batteries can become lodged in a child's throat or travel into the digestive system causing a chemical reaction between the saliva and the battery acid. This chemical reaction causes an electrical current which can burn through the oesophagus in as little as two hours, causing severe and life threatening injuries. Once burning begins, it can continue for hours after the battery has been removed.

Unfortunately button battery ingestion is often misdiagnosed or not treated in time because the symptoms are flu like (cough, irritability, runny nose, temperature) and the batteries will only show up in an x-ray.

So how can you protect your kids from the dangers of button batteries? Safe Spot has come up with a global first solution to the problem....

Battery Poisoning Prevention Safe Spot Foundation

Safe Spot Solution - Safe Battery Safe Stickers

Safe Spot is determined to be part of the solution, so in a global first, we’ve created Battery Safe Stickers to help keep your kids safe. Battery Safe Stickers are high tactile stickers, which are placed over the battery compartment to secure the compartment to prevent little fingers accessing batteries.

This product prevents button battery compartments from popping open when dropped, acts as a warning label, and is used as an educational resource and a deterrent for young children.

Battery Safe Stickers help prevent little fingers from accessing batteries, and may buy you time to intervene if your child gets a hold of a battery controlled device. Battery Safe Stickers will not damage your battery devices and can easily be removed when no longer required.

Injury Prevention and Instructions for Safe Spot Battery Stickers

Battery SAFE Stickers Safe Spot Foundation. Battery Poisoning Prevention

1: Search your home for items containing button batteries.

2: Select a suitable Safe Spot Battery Safe Sticker and secure over entire battery panel to deter access by young children.

3: Show your child the Battery Safe Sticker once it is placed over the battery panel of your device and explain to your child the dangers of batteries and that the Battery Safe Sticker means ‘Danger, do NOT touch.’

4: Once all devices are secured with a Battery Safe Sticker, place the devices and spare batteries - out of sight and out of reach of children.

5: Always keep loose or spare batteries of any kind out of reach of children and locked away.

6: If you believe your child may have swallowed a button battery, seek medical advice immediately by calling the Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26. Symptoms can be flu like, including drooling, pain, discomfort and irritability.

7: Help spread the word about the dangers of button batteries to keep our kids safe.

And there are other things you can do to protect your child from button battery poisoning.

Prevention

"Parents and carers can make safe choices to reduce the risks when buying electronic devices for the home.

Check that battery controlled devices are completely sealed, require 2 movements to open or have other securing features.

Keep products that use button batteries and spare batteries out of sight and out of reach of children.

When you purchase button batteries, make sure the battery packaging is child resistant and that you store them away from children.

Remember that flat batteries are dangerous too. Never leave any battery where children can get hold of them and make sure you dispose of old batteries responsibly.

Become aware of all the battery controlled devices in your home."

Click to reference Original Source:

Treatment of Suspected Battery Ingestion

  • In Australia - Call the Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26.
  • Go to an emergency room immediately. Tell doctors and nurses that you suspect your child may have swallowed a battery.
  • If possible, provide the medical team with the identification number found on the battery’s pack.
  • Do not let the child eat or drink until an X-ray can determine if a battery is present.
  • Do not induce vomiting. (ii)

References

The Battery Controlled Campaign